Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting Frustrated...

Ok... well to begin I DID lose this week.. one whole pound. I know, I know - at least I lost and a pound is a pound is a pound.. but I feel like I am forever losing the SAME pound! I don't seem to be moving forward like I had been in the beginning.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong. There are some weeks I can tell you exactly where I went wrong yanno.. like when I eat a whole pizza or ice cream or whatever else I am craving at the time.  But when I am watching what I eat and exercising diligently I don't get why I can't or am not losing like I want to be losing.  It is very frustrating.  I think one of the biggest things is I am not SURE I am eating the right amount of calories to optimize my weight loss.  My trainer - well ..the trainer that is nice enough to help me on the side I guess.. started me out with a specific amount of calories that I needed to be eating each day to lose weight. And I lost..alot! However, at the time I had JUST started working out and might get to the gym 2 - 3 times per week. Now alot of weeks I get to the gym 2-3 times per DAY.  So when I first hit a little plateau - he said "You may not be eating enough food for the amount of exercise you are doing and your body goes into starvation mode...eat more"  So, I did..and I lost a few more pounds. Then I had someone else tell me I was eating waay too many calories a day for my body to lose weight and I should cut back. I did - lost a few more.  In the meantime during all of this I had weeks where I went up as well as down.  How do I KNOW for sure how many calories are good for my body to lose with the amount of exercise I am doing?  I have NO idea how to do this - other than to be able to know exactly how many calories I am burning with every workout.  The only way I know how to do that is this awesome little device that some of you may have seen on The Biggest Loser called a BodyBugg. You wear it and it is able to tell you how many calories you burn 24 hours/day.  I really want one - but they are a little expensive. Then I would also have questions then too I think.  I was told if I got one of those - as long as I had a calorie deficit of 1500 per day...I would lose 3 pounds per week on a fairly regular basis.  I guess my question then would be - ok...but at what point does the body get to the "starvation mode" and start saving calories?

See where the frustration is coming in??  WHY does this have to be so hard??

1 comment:

  1. If you find answers to any of those questions please let me know. I've been dealing with the exact same thing. Some say I'm not eating enough calories, and some say I should be eating fewer. Others just say that my body is where it is going to be. It's enough to make me pull my hair out.

    ReplyDelete